So it finally happened................David Lee Roth was fired from CBS Radio after taking over for Howard Stern back in January. Opie and Anthony, have returned to terrestrial radio in his place after being fired from 102.7 WNEW four years ago for having a contest that dared people to have sex in public places. More points were given for the higher risk areas and one couple was arrested for having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC and almost immediately, O & A were off the air. They went to XM satellite radio a year and a half ago and will now broadcast from 6am to 9am on 92.3 FreeFM (formerly K-Rock) in Manhattan and the move the show to XM. People may remember them also for their "WOW" or Whip 'em Out Wednesday gimmick where anyone that had either a "WOW" bumpersticker or "WOW" on their vehicle somehow would have the potential to have women flash them as they drove by. Some old co-workers mounted a "WOW" sign on the back of my car one day without me knowing it and every women that pulled up next to me had a smile on their face as they looked over..............I guess waiting for me to gesture for them to flash me. I just thought I was having a good day and if I knew that sign was there, I would have!
I was never a big Stern fan so I definitely wasn't upset to see him go, but I knew that DLR would not be a good radio host because he tried to be to political..........and unlike Ted Nugent who is very outspoken with his views, Roth had no idea how to entertain people and still get his point across.
Opie and Anthony entertained me for years on my 45 minute drive home from work, and now they will be doing it again in the morning. All I can say is......WELCOME BACK!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
i never listened to them cuz they weren't sindicated like stern was. i miss hearing stern
I am really looking forward to listening to O and A again.
However it is a shame to see DLR go so soon. I thought that even though his show needed a lot of work it was still pretty enjoyable.
Living in the Bible Belt(read: Jerry Falwell's hometown), we don't get Stern or O & A, but I know all about them, and all of their "trials and tribulations", even their supposed feud with Don and Mike. Years ago, we had Imus and Don and Mike, then one of Falwell's umbrella corporations bought the station, and we lost both. Fortunately, I found D & M online last summer, so I'm happy about that.
Anyway, I'm not surprised that DLR was canned; he was set up to fail. I am surprised that CBS bit the bullet on Opie and Anthony. We'll see how long that lasts.
Ahh the days of WOW! Didn't we know someone who used to go out wowing on Wednesdays? I forgot her name.....*SMILE*
Becky - Stern just ended up complaining about the same things over and over again. It bored me.
Craig - I gave DLR a chance, but I just couldn't get into him.
Bruce - Sorry to hear about you "bible-belt" problem.
Jenn - Yeah......there will be none of that.
I liked Stern fine but would get tired of his naked lady antics and would turn him off for a few weeks and then go back again. I liked his politics and shared a lot of his same opinions. Personally I found him extremely intelligent and clever. So he packaged it in raunch, didn't bother me all that much because I knew how to use the "off" button on my radio if I wanted to!
I CAN NOT stand DLR and I listened to his show for about 5 minutes (I'm being kind here) and his voice just pisses me off so I switched off and never went back.
I'll definitely listen to O&A for a while but I was never a devoted fan way back when and would turn them off just like I did with Stern when I was tired of them. Just another option while surfing I guess!
I live too far south in Jersey to get any New York stations, but it doesn't matter. I got a Sirius Satellite radio back in December and haven't listened to terrestrial radio since.
Strutter71 - I don't know if you live closer to Philly, but they are broadcasting there too, if you care.
Close, but no cigar. I'm ALL the way down at the bottom of our fair state, so I don't get the Philly stations either. When I was still listening to terrestrial radio, I actually picked up stations from Delaware and Maryland.
Roth was a hack for sure, but I'm not sure about O&A. I listened to them a bit on 102.7, but never really was hooked.
Thank goodness for my iPod.
O&A - yuck - come on Mike you can do better.
Post a Comment