Thursday, August 03, 2006

Scaramouch?

I remember when I was about 4 years old, my uncle bought me Queen - A Night at the Opera. As a kid, I thought that when they said, "Scaramouch, Scaramouch" in Bohemian Rhapsody it was the funniest thing.

One day when I was in pre-school, the teacher told us all to bring in our favorite song. Most kids walk in with "C is for Cookie" and Alvin and the Chipmunks which everyone was singing along with..............and then it was my turn. I was so excited to play it. My Mom even wrote, "Scaramouch" next to the song on the album cover so I knew which one to play. All I know is that was the first uncomfortable situation that I can remember in my life. It was six minutes of total silence. I remember bopping up and down to the music and looking around the room at all the kids blank stares. I'm surprised I didn't get sent home with a note to my parents.

Then in 1992 when Wayne's World came out, Bohemian Rhapsody was featured in the movie. I thought it was so funny that they were banging their heads to the real heavy part at the end since my friends and I used to do that too. Suddenly, everyone was doing it. The song was so different for the mid-70's and now it was part of this pop-culture phenomenon of the early 90's. I hated that.

11 comments:

David Amulet said...

I used to love this song. After the movie, it's on my list of "always skip it" songs because I'm sooooooo tired of hearing it. It's a shame, because it's one of the most creative things Queen did.

-- david

Jenn said...

This is my favorite post from you yet. A walk down memory lane, and a peek into that crazy head of yours!

Metal Mark said...

I brought a cd to class and got the same reaction only this was in college because I brought Sacred Reich to share with everyone. Wayne's World was funny, but it mocked hard rock pretty badly.

T-_Bone said...

I know how you feel. I went to a Jimmy Buffet concert in 1987 and people were just chilling out having a good time, now his shows are full of idiots dressed up a ketchup bottles.

:P fuzzbox said...

Nothing can ruin that song for me. From the first moment that I heard it, I knew that is what music can be.

The strangest story about this song to me is that during the PMRC hearings Tipper Gore actually thought it was opera. What a douche.

Anonymous said...

I love this post.

Also, I'm the same way with a number of once brilliant Beatles songs that are now simply commercials to me.

Anonymous said...

Man this is totally timely. I went to a bachelor party on Friday night, and one of our stops was a piano bar. The played Rhapsody and of course, all of the people in the crowd were banging their heads to the real heavy part and it sickened me. Only because of Wayne's World were they doing this. A sad, sad story when society comes to this. I laughed, and then went to throw up because I was so sickened.

Bar L. said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe you did that in pre-school. I hope your mom was proud of you, I would have been!

I love Queen and miss Freddy. Last night I was at a Bowie tribute concert and they did Under Pressure. It was great.

Mike said...

David - I'm not at the skip it point, but I used to get much more excited when I heard it on the radio.

Jenn - You married me, you knew what you were getting in to!

Mark - It did mock Rock pretty bad with the "I'm not worthy" an all.

Fred - Way to make you feel good about your choice of music.

T-Bone - Fins to the left.....fins to the right.

Fuzz - She also thought that putting warning lables on albums would hurt sales and make thme change. I actually look for albums with the sticker.

Jenny - Rock songs in commercials bother me too. The Who needs to stop selling to Nissan & all of the "CSI" shows.

Russ - You hurled? Did you see a girl on stage and fade into a dream sequence with "Dream Weaver" playing in your head?

Layla - Yeah, when Freddie died, we lost a great performer.

David Amulet said...

You have sparked me to listen to more Queen. I just played the debut album ... what a great first effort!

-- david

Anonymous said...

What was once popular will always be popular again, someday. I'm hoping that Gerry and the Pacemakers will make a comeback...