Thursday, September 21, 2006

9th Straight Title!

Last night the Yanks may have lost their final game against the Blue Jays, but when the Red Sox lost to the Twins, New York won their 9th straight AL East title. Some may say that they "backed" into the title, since they did not win last night to clinch the division, but when a team has an 11 game lead, and a 92 - 60 record with two weeks left to play, how can you really say they backed in? They proved that they could compete without guys like Matsui and Sheffield (who were injured early in the season), but instead with guys like Cano and Cabrera.

The Mets (the "other" New York team) also clinched their division two days ago, which of course has people in my office talking about another Subway Series. Only time will tell, but if it happens, it will be a better series than the one back in 2000 (which the Yankees won in five games).

7 comments:

Strutter71 said...

It's extremely hard for me, as a life-long Yankee fan (and Met hater) to think about a Subway Series this year. It would definitely be a better series than the one in '00, but man...
It's really tough to not root for a childhood hero like Willie Randolph. I really am happy for all his success, even if it has to be as manager of the (ugh) Mets.

Jenn said...

Oh, is baseball still on? I was paying too much attention to my Football League to notice......

Ummm I mean.....GO YANKEES!!

Metal Mark said...

I agree with Jenn. Except for that Go Yankees thing. I have not been much of a baseball fan since the mid 80's. Yet being 30 miles from Baltimore, I am afraid the phrase "New York Yankees" still turns my stomach.

Anonymous said...

You can never really count the Yankees out. It could be a Subway Series.

Anonymous said...

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!

Green Eyes said...

I'm a football fan myself. Never like baseball. Well, except for the way those guys look in those pants! lol And, my ex is a huge Yankees fan, and all I know is Derek Jeter is one FINE MAN!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Mike said...

Strutter - I agree. Willie was a great Yankee, but now he's the enemy. We routed against Pinella and he was a good Yankee too.

Babe & Mark - Yeah, Don't get me wrong, I like football, but Yankee baseball is one of my passions.

Evyl - It would be cool if it was a Subway Series.

Mom - YEAH! What you said!

GE - I don't really look at the guys asses in the uniforms, so I'll have to take your word for it.