Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cars, Cars, and more cars

I decided that since I've posted about my family, movies and music previously, it was time to give another one of my passions a turn. One of my favorite things in the world (after my wife and daughter of course) is cars. I am a total freak with product knowledge. After high school I actually sold cars for about a year; Ford's Lincoln's, Mercury's, Pontiac's, Saab's, GMC trucks and...................YUGO'S!! Remember those? I had two different ones as demos. I beat the piss out of them. They handled like shit and weren't very comfortable, but when you're 19, they don't give you a brand new Saab 900 to drive around in! It was just cool for me to have access to my car and another one that I didn't have to pay for. Basically, I drove whichever one had more gas in it. My girlfriend at the time only got in the Yugo once, and that was because she has no other choice. She wasn't happy.

I also have a mechanics degree (which I never did anything with) and I worked for a major car manufacturer for almost seven years, which is where I met my wife (lets see if you can figure out which one by the cars I owned). That was cool. I also worked the Auto Show in NYC one year. So anyway that got me thinking about all the cars I've had. Get ready, here comes the list:
  1. 1982 Plymouth Horizon (automatic - white) - wrecked this one after 3 1/2 weeks; oops!
  2. 1980 Datsun 200SX coupe (5 speed - midnight blue) - was my dad's car for 10 years and I wrecked it after 10 days, and it wasn't even my fault!!
  3. 1984 Oldsmobile Firenza GT hatchback (auto - white)
  4. 1987 Nissan 200SX coupe (auto - red)
  5. 1995 Nissan 240SX SE (auto - maroon)
  6. 1994 Nissan Sentra XE 2 door (5 speed - gray)
  7. 1998 Volvo S70 T5 (high pressure turbo - 5 speed - blue)
  8. 1998 Volvo C70 coupe (high pressure turbo - auto - black)
  9. 2000 Volvo S70 (auto - dark blue)
  10. 2000 Volvo S70 SE (5 speed - white)
  11. 2000 Volvo C70 (high pressure turbo - 5 speed - dark blue) I loved this car!!!
  12. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 extended cab (5 speed - black)
  13. 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 (auto - maroon)
  14. 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T (5 speed - gray)

My all time favorite car is a black 1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS, 396ci, 4 speed. If you don't know what this car looks like, click on the Camaro link above, or simply watch the 80's movie "Better Off Dead". I have come to terms with the fact that I will never have one, but I can still dream. I have no idea what my next car will be, but it definitely has to be bigger than the Jetta. I think it's going to be a truck again since I live in the mountains and can't get up my driveway when it snows!

So here's my questions:

  1. What was your first car?
  2. What do you drive now?
  3. Do you have a dream car?

8 comments:

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

1st car- dodge neon (hated it even though it was brand new)
car now- which is my 2nd car as well. pontiac grand prix. LOVE IT!
dream car- i'd love to have a lexus SUV. but i really dont have a dream care persay

Anonymous said...

What was your first car?
1979 Chevrolet Caprice

What do you drive now?
2002 Subaru Forrester

Do you have a dream car?
DeLorean

j.sterling said...

first car- a puegot thing.. i called it PLUG NUT
car now? jeep grand cherokee
dream car? 4 runner i guess

Melissa said...

First off, my dad is a Volvo and Saab Mechanic and has a place with a co-owner. He has been doing it my whole life. I adore Saab Turbos. The 900 convertable is the car I wanted for my entire childhood. But I've still never had one.

Lets see - 1st car was a 1984 Nissan Pullsar - she was a train wreck. I only had her for two years and i replaced just about everything.

Now I have a 2004 Orange VW Beetle, but this you knew. Hubby has a Lincoln Aviator.

I'd love to have a Saab Turbo convertable or a cute little Porsch one day.

Anonymous said...

I can't answer your questions because all I can say is this:

"Fronch fries...Fronch Dressing...and to drink: Peru!"

John Cusack playing Lane is right up there with Lloyd Dobler. LOVE HIM!

John Cusack was staying at the same hotel in Vegas that I was at for a business trip. I had VPs telling me where he was at any given moment...and I gambled at the same table in the casino. Needless to say I lost $$ b/c I was too busy drooling to pay attention to the game.

UnHoly Diver said...

1. What was your first car? 1963 Dodge Polara convertible w/ push-button transmission
2. What do you drive now? My late mother's 2002 PT Cruiser(it's in my name now)
3. Do you have a dream car? As long as it runs well, it's my "dream car" ;)

Jenn said...

YOU know this, but for those of you who don't:
1st Car - 1979 shit brown firebird.
Car Now - Jeep Liberty
Dream Car - Orange 1971 (approx) Karmen Ghia Convertible!

Anonymous said...

my first car was a renault twingo - i loved her, then i bought my car called Lola. She's a VW golf1, i rebuilt her and won many prizez.
My dream car is a lamborghini coutach.